What is the best mascara for sensitive eyes?
That’s what I’ve been working to uncover. I’m so exhausted from trying mascaras…it has taken me years to write this guide! I’m picky about my ingredients not just because of potential health benefits but also because I have sensitive skin and very dry, sensitive eyes. They itch so easily! Mascaras have always been a bugaboo for me. I’ve tried over 100 in my lifetime by now, I’m sure of it.
So I need sensitive formulas but I also need my mascaras to be like all the Bravo TV I watch: oddly soothing even though its not meant to be, but filled with drama!
I certainly used to try ever mascara at CVS in college 🙂 but the only one that didn’t make my eyes itch for hours was Physician Formula. I haven’t bought a mascara from a regular store in a while 😉 but before my deep dive into cleaner beauty, I tried most of the mascaras at Sephora so you’ll see many of those in my list. Update – check out my friend Marie’s review of some of the latest Physician Formula mascaras.
Stay tuned for a more visual view!
Many of these mascaras you might consider clean, green, natural or organic but I didn’t dive deep into ingredients just yet. I may or may not go that deep but at the very least laying the review out by where you shop seemed to be the most functional approach.
Best Sensitive Eyes Mascara at Sephora.
- Tarte Lights Camera Lashes Mascara – Grade C– amazingly dramatic lashes. Pretty decent staying power. But ultimately my eyes did itch. But at least this is better than Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara! I used to recommend this mascara a lot though. If my eyes weren’t so sensitive I would still wear this one, honestly.
- Tarte Gifted Mascara – Grade C – I recently retried this “amazonian clay” mascara since it was in my Allure Beauty Box (of which I give away 3/4 of the items to friends 🙂 ). It’s a very defining mascara but it was even itchier than I remember. I’m not sure who this would be good for.
- Wander Beauty Mile High Club Mascara – Grade A – it’s a very light, glossy mascara that holds it shape! It’s hardly itchy and it doesn’t smudge or travel after several hours.
- Ilia Limitless Lash Mascara – Grade A+ – this one is a winner! And you can buy it online at Sephora – maybe in store at select stores. Honestly, this is my favorite, best performing product from this brand’s line. I’m surprised at how high-performance this mascara is. It gives me just enough drama and in a true black formula. My eyes aren’t itchy and it doesn’t smudge! Only slight flaking after 5+ hours.
- Josie Maran Black Oil Mascara – Grade B – I LOVED this Mascara. It’s so glossy and the perfect amount of drama. It feels so nourishing and my eyes don’t get irritated at all! BUT it does smudge and smear within 2 hours.
Best Sensitive Eyes Mascara at Target or Drugstores
- Honest Beauty Mascara – Grade C – This was another one I had to try multiple times. I love that it comes with a primer – I assume that is good for my lashes 🙂 . But ultimately this only looked good for an hour before it smudged.
- Pixi Large Lash Mascara – Grade B+ – I was so pleasantly surprised by this vegan mascara! It gives a nice full effect to lashes, similar to what I remember from L’Oreal Paris Voluminous Mascara. It does smudge a bit underneath my eyes but that’s pretty on par for most mascaras.
- If you have to buy mascara from a CVS, try Physicians Formula. They have so many options now! Maybe Neutrogena didn’t itch too badly either.
- Pacifica Dream Big and Stellar Gaze Mineral Mascara – Grade C – Looping these both together here – I loved how glossy both of these formulas were. And they didn’t make my eyes feel itchy. But they smudged terribly and didn’t wear well.
Best Sensitive Eyes Mascara from Luxury Beauty Stores
- You can find many of these at the Detox Market or Credo Beauty
- FitGlow Vegan Good Lash Mascara – Grade B– – I wanted to love this beautiful pink tube mascara. The brush is gorgeous and creates volume, but honestly it makes it easier to smudge. And the formula looks great at first but it flaked within 1.5 hours for me. Some people love it though?
- Hynt Beauty Mascara – Grade B– – I feel bad saying this but this mascara was truly unmemorable? Well I guess I remember that my eyes didn’t itch so that’s why its in the B category.
- Kjaer Weis Mascara – Grade A- – If you have truly very very very sensitive eyes, this mascara is for you. It’s so gentle and nourishing. For that its in my A category. But it has no drama whatsoever. But it is sustainably packaged which is very cool!
- Lily Lolo Natural Vegan Mascara – Grade A – Just enough drama, not smudging, hardly any flaking and wears pretty well for hours.
- Lily Lolo Big Lash Mascara – Grade A+ – truth be told I’m not sure why you would go with the regular than the Big black tube! Except the big lash is harder to fine. Really nice dramatic lashes.
- Ere Perez Avocado Waterproof Mascara – Grade B– – I LOVE this brand but this mascara faded away in just about 2 hours as it flaked off.
- I also tried that one the green beauty influencers were pushing circa 2018 – Hush + Dotti? Totally mediocre (Grade B-)
- Hynt Nocture Mascara – Grade B- or C– very unforgettible and smudgy 🙁
- Both RMS Beauty Mascaras – Grade B- – can best be described as meh ?
Sensitive Eyes Mascara Options at Amazon and Health Stores like Whole Foods
- W3ll People Expressionst Mascara – Grade B– – I tried this mascara 3 times over the past 4 years. I just wasn’t wowed at all. It wasn’t irritating, but it did smudge and flake after about 2 hours. I don’t understand why people “love” this mascara?
- Dr. Hauscha Mascara – Grade D – Stingy and smeared and smudged. I feel bad giving something a failing grade but….
- Honeybee Gardens Bellissima Volumzing Mascara – Grade B- – this did give volume and felt nourishing but it flaked within about 1.5 hours on me 🙁
- Inika Long Lash Mascara – Grade B- – this wore very similarly to the W3ll People Mascara.
- 100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Mascara – Grade C – Poor performance and it smelled so much like fruit it was nauseating. How did they manage to do that??
- Mineral Fusion Mascara – Grade C – Bless their hearts. How could something smudge so much so quickly?
Is Gwyneth Paltrow’s Favorite Goop Recommended Mascara Worth it – Westman Atelier Mascara Review
Yes friends, this little beauty deserved its own heading. I’ve tried Westman Atelier’s mascara several times at Cosbar and now they give you a free mini trial size with a $50+ purchase of Westman Atelier. So I’ve had more time to try it myself with a fresh tube. The real question is….is it worth the $78 price tag?? Well, it’s not awful. It does actually hold its shape well. It creates a tiny bid of drama and majorly lengthens lashes. But it does flake, smudge a bit after a few hours. Comparable in what you might see with my favorite Lily Lolo’s. But those aren’t $78 :). So no, Westman Atelier is not worth it’s price tag but it does deserve a Grade A rating. Update: Check out my IGTV for more thoughts on Westman Atelier
View this post on Instagram
Hi again! First IGTV in a few weeks and its a big one! Before and after makeup – almost a full face look with #gucciwestman #westmanatelier makeup. I even show my entire makeup application (eek) with a voice over too. Honest and awkward as usual – sleepy eye and all. But I really want to help you understand if this cleaner beauty brand is worth it. Is Gwyneth Paltrow’s recommended mascara worth it? Overall, my #sensitiveskin felt so comfortable and not itchy at all in this makeup! I’d also recommend their brushes too but I’m not sure who can afford them >> Westman Atelier Lit Up highlighter — magic. truly magical. I like it best almost like a primer underneath my makeup. It has a gorgeous almost lavendar light that shines through. And it feels great on my skin. >> Westman Atelier Vital Skin Foundation Stick — it looks fantastic on – so natural. And if you think you can’t tell from my video, check out the video of Gucci Westman applying makeup on #juliannemoore – stunning. I’m still playing around with how to build coverage and get just the right amount of coverage. I like to cover my remaining hyperpigementation and melasma but I look best when my skin shines through 🙂 . I’m wearing the lightest color but I may need to exchange it for the next shade. >> Westman Atelier Face Trace Contour Stick – Biscuit is a lovely color and it provides a nice subtle look. I’m still trying to get the hang of the placement and application. I had help at Cosbar and after they applied my makeup my friend had noted my makeup had never looked better and more natural. They did the above, the contour and then peau de peche and Coquette blush. Everything was applied higher than I would have normally applied actually so I keep that in mind. >> Westman Atelier Lip Suede – it’s absolutely gorgeous but the compact is heavier than you may realize. I’ve tried the colors a few times and they are fantastic – not really subtle though :). Wear is pretty good but they aren’t longwear formulas. I’m struggling to purchase though – I just think realistically I wouldn’t carry a compact and a lip brush in my purse? >> Westman Atelier Mascara – is it worth $70+? You’ll have to watch and se
Is Thrive Causemetics Mascara Truly 5 Stars Worthy?
So I finally tried the Thrive Causemetics Liquid Lash Extensions mascara about 2 months ago. I’m so impressed and I didn’t want to be, honestly, because it felt too hyped up! This mascara brings the drama BUT also a bit of clumpiness – lashes won’t look super defined. But they will will thick and healthy. And its not a very glossy finish but this mascara gets an A+ rating in my book: actually stays all day; does not flake, smudge or smear! (after you let it drive for a few minutes 🙂 ). It comes of in tubes so I find it more gentle on my lashes. But it’s way more dramatic than a traditional tubing mascara like Blinc.
Did I leave off any mascaras from your lists? Did you have different experiences with these mascaras? I would love to hear! Drop your thoughts in the comments below or on Instagram. I still have to add Saie beauty to my list 🙂 .