Do yourself a favor and start 2020 off right with lip balms and masks that actually work and aren’t addictive!
It’s been over a decade since I regularly used Carmex, Vaseline or overly minty lip balms like Burt Bees. I am addicted however to the feeling of smooth lips. But, my skin and lips are so sensitive and have a tendency towards dryness. To I have to work harder to get my lips to feel smooth, not peeling – especially in the changing seasons and dry Southern California weather!
To be totally honest – and follow my goal of being more brave in 2019 – when my ‘mom anxiety’ flares up my lips can fall victim to dermatillomania when my lips feel cracked and uneven.
When I was younger I would try every single new lip balm at drug stores (who remembers Softlips 🙂 ???). And as I got older, that translated into trying all the favorite lip balms at Sephora.
A few that didn’t work for me at all:
- Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment– I don’t know how this does anything for anyone. I didn’t think this lip balm was conditioning at all.
- Fresh Sugar Lip Scrub– So this was fine – but see below for my favorite more gentle and effective lip exfoliation technique.
- First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Lip Treatment – totally meh 🙁
- Drunk Elephant Lippe – oh poor Lippe. Than you for trying. Read more on my previous Drunk Elephant reviews.
My go-to, top-recommended lip treatment used to be Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask (currently available on Amazon via third-party sellers). Over the years I’ve tried every version! My latest is the maple version 🙂 . BTW – most Bite Beauty products are not available for purchase at Sephora – it sounds like they are reformulating. So so the OG Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask has been replaced by a new routine:
Natural Lip Balm and Mask Routine for Dry Chapped Winter Lips:
- I use the Bite Beauty Agave Lip Balm as needed throughout the day.
- I exfoliate my lips gently, nightly with this handy dandy double-sided silicone mask applicator from Sephora.
- Then, I prefer to use lip serum like this lovely Odacite Adventuring Kiss with a rolled stone applicator or something with humectants. Even if it is just my beloved Josh Rosebrook face mist.
- If I need something stronger than the Agave lip balm I use my new favorite – the Primera Clean Berry Lip Mask.
Primera Clean Beauty Lip Mask Review
More on Primera: I was excited but also hesitant to try this new clean K-Beauty: Sephora used to push Amore Pacific so hard but the scents are so irritating. I was so thrilled this lip mask and other products I’ve tried from Primera don’t have added scents 🙂
This lip mask from Primera is even husband-approved! He strongly dislikes using products and sticky feelings on his skin or lips but he loves this lip mask as well 🙂
The Primera Clean Berry lip mask is powered by Seaberry and “barrier protecting” murumuru butter. At first, I didn’t think I knew anything about either ingredient. Until I realized seaberry is sea buckthorn (hippophae rhamnoides) which I’ve used in lots of skincare! And in fact, I just started taking it as a supplement for its fatty acid benefits! (more on that later 🙂 ).
I sincerely hope my lip treatment routine helps you – especially in these winter months and if you have dermatillomania . Would love to hear about your favorite lip treatments!!??